Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet will be asked to consider the recommendations of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee following its scrutiny of the Mildenhall Hub Post Implementation review (Report number: OAS/WS/23/003 refers).
1. Subject to the suggested actions below, the Cabinet endorsed the Overview and Scrutiny Committee’s conclusion that the Mildenhall Hub has met the strategic and environmental objectives set for it by Forest Heath District Council in 2018 and is making good progress towards the break-even financial test by year five of its operation.
2. Subject to joint-funding and planning consent, adaptations be made to the eastern plaza to:
- Reduce the walking distance from disabled parking spaces to the eastern entrance;
- Create a disabled drop-off;
- Future-proof the future expansion of the Hub by providing more disabled parking spaces.
3. When any works to the east plaza are complete, investigate, consult on and, if appropriate, introduce a Traffic Regulation Order to regulate the parking on site.
4. The current and future capacity of on-site car parking should be taken into account as part of any proposals for expansion of education capacity at and adjacent to the Hub; and the Council, as Hub landlord, should make submissions to the Local Planning Authority, Highways Authority and/or education partners accordingly on behalf of the partnership.
5. The final required highways audit of the Queensway / Sheldrick Way junction be commissioned in late 2023.
6. The current and future capacity of the Queensway / Sheldrick Way junction should be taken into account as part of any highway appraisals for the delivery of the West Mildenhall masterplan and/or any proposals for expansion of primary and secondary education capacity at and adjacent to the Hub; and the Council, as Hub landlord, should make submissions to the Local Planning Authority, Highways Authority and/or education partners accordingly on behalf of the partnership.
7. Cabinet makes representation to Suffolk County Council regarding a light-controlled crossing being installed at the zebra crossing in the High Street leading to Church Walk, Mildenhall and the introduction of a 20mph speed limit on Wamil Way, Mildenhall.
8. To review progress against the year five financial test, a final report on the Mildenhall Hub Post Implementation Review be included in the Committee’s work programme for 2026, subject to the completion of a scoping / key lines of enquiry exercise being carried out with the Strategic Director.
Report author: Alex Wilson
Publication date: 13/04/2023
Date of decision: 11/04/2023
Decided at meeting: 11/04/2023 - Cabinet
Effective from: 21/04/2023