Agenda and minutes

Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Thursday 14 January 2021 5.00 pm

Venue: To be held remotely via video conferencing facilities (Microsoft TeamsLive)

Contact: Christine Brain: Democratic Services Officer  Email:


No. Item



Any member who is substituting for another member should so indicate, together with the name of the relevant absent member.


No substitutions were declared.





Apologies for absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Simon Cole, Lisa Ingwall King and Jim Meikle.


Councillor Michael Anderson was also unable to attend the meeting.


Minutes pdf icon PDF 144 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 12 November 2020 (copy attached).


The minutes of the meeting held on 12 November 2020 were confirmed as correct record by the Chair.


Declarations of interest

Members are reminded of their responsibility to declare any pecuniary or local non pecuniary interest which they have in any item of business on the agenda, no later than when that item is reached and, when appropriate, to leave the meeting prior to discussion and voting on the item.


Members’ declarations of interest are recorded under the item to which the declaration relates.


Announcements from the Chair regarding responses from the Cabinet to reports of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee


The Chair informed members he attended Cabinet on 8 December 2020 and presented the Committee’s report from its meeting held on 12 November 2020.  As per the minutes above, the Chair updated Cabinet on the presentation given by the Director and Service Manager (Corporate Policy) on “Major Council Capital Projects and the Impact of Covid-19“, which was noted by Cabinet.


Public participation

Members of the public who live or work in the district are welcome to speak and may ask one question or make a statement of not more than three minutes duration relating to items to be discussed in Part 1 of the agenda only.  If a question is asked and answered within three minutes, the person who asked the question may ask a supplementary question that arises from the reply.


As this meeting is being held virtually and to allow persons sufficient time to be briefed on procedures accordingly, a person who wishes to speak must register by 9am on the last working day before the meeting (13 January 2021).


There is an overall limit of 15 minutes for public speaking, which may be extended at the Chair’s discretion.


No members of the public had registered to speak on this occasion.


Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO): West Suffolk pdf icon PDF 199 KB

Report number: OAS/WS/21/001


Additional documents:


[Councillor Diane Hind declared a local non-pecuniary interest, as a resident of Moreton Hall, Bury St Edmunds.


Councillors Tony Brown, Margaret Marks and Joe Mason all declared local non-pecuniary interests as being Town Councillors for Haverhill].


The Committee received report number OAS/WS/21/001, presented by Councillor Robert Everitt, Cabinet Member for Families and Communities, which outlined the process due to be undertaken on Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs) following recommendations made by Cabinet on 22 September 2020.


In September 2020, Cabinet recommended that further consideration be given to the proposals submitted during engagement with stakeholders, namely the extension of PSPO areas in Brandon, Haverhill, and Bury St Edmunds. 


The report set out the work undertaken since Cabinet met in September 2020, including undertaking additional evidence gathering with Suffolk Police and those submitting the proposals.  In accordance with guidance, any changes to existing PSPOs or a request for a new PSPO should undertake consultation with those affected by the changes.


The recommendation to Overview and Scrutiny was that public consultation should take place in Haverhill to remove an area that was now a residential area, and in Bury St Edmunds to introduce a PSPO in the Moreton Hall area relating to anti-social driving.  Evidence and further consultation with Brandon Town Council had concluded that no further consultation within this area was required.


The police, Brandon Town Council, Haverhill Town Council and Moreton Hall Residents Association were supportive of the recommendations.


Attached at Appendix A to the report was a map which identified the area for removal in Haverhill.  Attached at Appendix B to the report was a map which identified areas within the Moreton Hall ward; these were subject to change depending on consultation results received.


Consultation would take place between 18 January and 21 February 2021.  Due to the Covid restrictions consultation with the general public within the proposed areas, would be focused through online, social media and press releases to raise awareness of the consultation.  Public consultation would run alongside the stakeholder consultation.  Once the consultation was completed, the data would be analysed, with a final decision being considered by Cabinet in March 2021.


The Chair then invited Councillor Trevor Beckwith, Ward Member for Moreton Hall to address the Committee in respect of this item.  He thanked the Committee for allowing him to speak.  He informed the Committee that anti-social driving on the Moreton Hall estate had been a big issue since 2016.  He set out the history to the anti-social driving which had moved from the centre of Bury St Edmunds to Moreton Hall.   He explained that although Covid-19 had an impact and reduced the number of vehicles in the area, residents continued to report incidents to the Police who were supportive of a PSPO being introduced in Moreton Hall.


The Committee then considered the report and asked questions.  In particular, detailed discussions were held on the need for more enforcement, how practical it was in issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for anti-social driving, and who was responsible for carrying  ...  view the full minutes text for item 93.


Work programme update and suggestion for scrutiny pdf icon PDF 115 KB

Report number: OAS/WS/21/002

Additional documents:


The Committee received report number: OAS/WS/21/002, which updated members on the current status of its rolling work programme of items, and items currently agreed but had yet to be programmed for scrutiny during 2021 as attached at Appendix 1.


Attached to the report at Appendix 2 was a completed work programme suggestion for a review of the Council website by Councillor Terry Clements.  He explained that he felt that there were some anomalies on the website and the language used, such as key phrases and key words could be confusing.  The aim of the propose review was to make communication easier for our residents when using the website.


The Committee discussed the suggestion form and in particular whether public feedback could be incorporated as part of the process. 


The Assistant Director (Families and Communities) confirmed no specific complaints had been received about public access but if members did receive concerns from members of the public, they were welcome to pass them to her.   


At its conclusion, the Committee noted the current status of topics currently scheduled in its rolling work programme for 2021 (Appendix 1).


Councillor Mike Chester then moved the recommendation, this was duly seconded by Councillor Paul Hopfensperger, and with the vote being unanimous, the Committee:




To include in its forward work programme for 2021 a review of the Council’s website and identified the following members willing to be part of a small working party to support the review, being Councillors Terry Clements, Paul Hopfensperger, Mike Chester, Stephen Frost and Patrick Chung.


Note: Following the conclusion of the meeting, Councillor Paul Hopfensperger subsequently withdrew from the working party.